"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those that bring glad tidings of good things, and that say unto Zion: Behold, thy God reigneth! As the dews of Carmel, so shall the knowledge of God descend upon them!" ---D&C 128:19

Monday, May 18, 2015

Our Menu For This Past Week?---A Three Course Meal of Rain with a Side of Water, and Sopping Wet for Dessert


I have been trying to think of a funny/creative subject line to describe that every single day was pouring rain this week. That's what I came up with. Remember when you guys asked if there was something you could send? A rain jacket might not be a bad idea. I have a poncho but it does not do a good job of keeping me dry. You do not have to though.
Well, I guess its time I tell you all the news...I have been transferred to an area called Paramaribo North. It's not too far from where I already am. To describe the kind of change it is...it is basically  like me going from AF, which is part city part rural area, to downtown Salt Lake. I'm already in the city, but now I'm going further in. I will be with Elder James, who was actually in the MTC with me. I'm pretty excited.
My current area will be given to the Sisters. They will now have to manage two areas. They are a little nervous and are asking us to update our area book and make it really nice so that they can take care of the people we have. I'm a little sad that I have to leave just because I have gotten to know the members really well here and they are all awesome. But I did feel like I needed a change. Elder Mercier is also becoming the new district leader! He has three transfers left so he will probably finish out his mission that way.
This week was great. On Sunday we had some investigators come to church with all their kids. As well as an attendance of 92 people. To put that into perspective, the branch wants to have an average of 100 by the end of the year so that they can have their own building. (Right now they rent out a building.) At this point there is an average of 75 so they are well on their way. I was really happy to end the transfer that way. I hope that the branch continues to grow and work hard.
This week I studied the gifts of the Spirit. There was a quote from Joseph Smith that I read that explained how most of the time the manifestations of those gifts do not appear right away upon receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. They are developed and when the time and circumstances are right they are manifested. For example, the gift of healing. How would you know you had that gift upon receiving the Holy Ghost? It would not be shown in a great manifestation of lights and fireworks. In fact it may only be manifested in the privacy of a home. He also explained how each gift is necessary and useful and all together they are used to help build up the kingdom of God. Which explains the quote in 1 Corinthians 12 14-22 how the gifts are members of the body of Christ.
What I was also reminded of is what President Mehr told us in our companionship study. Only in this church, where the gift of the Holy Ghost is enjoyed, can we develop god-like attributes such as these gifts of the Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:28-30 states that not everybody has every gift, which is wisdom in him that we may learn to help and learn from each other.
It made me want to follow Paul's council at the end of chapter 12, "but covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet I show unto you a more excellent way."
We all have been given spiritual gifts that we are to use to help others and to build up the kingdom of god. I am grateful for the Gift of the Holy Ghost.
Love you guys, Have an awesome week!
Elder Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment