"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those that bring glad tidings of good things, and that say unto Zion: Behold, thy God reigneth! As the dews of Carmel, so shall the knowledge of God descend upon them!" ---D&C 128:19

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Conference Weekend

Hey family! I loved your guys' thoughts on conference this weekend. Me and the missionaries that were with me in the MTC joked about how funny it would be if we made our families do the Suriname conference experience. What we decided is that we would turn the heaters up to 80 or so with the fireplace on, several humidifiers, have hard foldable chairs and be in our Sunday best. What do you think? ;)
What you said is so true Dad, every single talk seems to apply either to me or to an investigator or a member. I remember what Pres. Egbert told me in an interview once. He said you will never get to live the missionary life, applying the principles of Preach My Gospel, and teaching people, the same way again. Even if I were to serve as a senior couple or mission president I would not get to live it the same way.
I really loved the overall message I felt. Whoever gets to determine the order of those talks knows what they are doing, because topics flowed so well from one to the next. The message to enjoy the simplicity of the gospel, the message to have faith and let the master potter go to work. The message about faith during the priesthood session were all amazing. We were actually talking about faith during dinner in between sessions so it was cool to hear the repeated message of "faith is power." I really enjoyed the talk by Dallin H. Oaks about the Atonement.  I felt that one speak personally to me.
I had an interesting thought cross my mind as I listened to the new apostles give their testimonies. I had always grown up with Elders Scott, Packer, and Perry. They gave amazing talks. I will miss hearing them, hearing the messages they often repeated when they spoke. But I will enjoy the new apostles, they will be the apostles that my kids get to grow up with and love. It'll be fun to see what messages they emphasize and repeat frequently in their ministries. I thought it was cool to see them sitting next to each other, I can only imagine how strong of a bond they will form as they all learn and grow.
I thought Elder Nelson's and Holland's talks were awesome. We all agreed that we owed our moms a lot and that the upcoming email session would be just us pouring out our thanks to them.  So Mom, thank you so much for what you did and still do. I will never be able to pay you back fully for that. I appreciated the insight the apostles gave about how women can be likened to Christ. It is so true.
There were so many things I learned and want to still learn when I get the magazine from this conference. When it comes out, will you send it as quick as you can?
I'm running out of time so I'm going to end this email with something I learned from David A. Bednar and D. Todd Christofferson. This is God's church led by experienced and wise prophets and apostles. I am so grateful to have living oracles testify of the truth of Jesus Christ and His Atonement. The way the Church is run may not make sense to the world. But our ways are not His.
I love you guys so much! I am excited to take the thoughts from conference and apply them. I hope you have an amazing week!
Love,
Elder Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment