"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those that bring glad tidings of good things, and that say unto Zion: Behold, thy God reigneth! As the dews of Carmel, so shall the knowledge of God descend upon them!" ---D&C 128:19

Monday, April 18, 2016

Transfer Calls






Hey Family! So first things first, transfer calls! On Saturday I got the call that I would be leaving Commewijne. Which is sad because there are a lot of people here that I will miss. I took pictures of some of them after church Sunday.  There are other people and it's sad to say goodbye, but I know they'll be ok. Now, as far as where I go, I will be serving in a branch in Suriname called Tammenga as a zone leader with Elder Dibb! In case you forgot, Elder Dibb and I went to the same high school and played on the same baseball team! Needless to say we are super pumped.
This week had some cool moments with investigators and less-actives. We saw "J" this week and taught her about tithing and fasting. She should be baptized either this Saturday or the next. When we taught her about tithing we asked her if she would be willing to keep it and her response was awesome. She basically said "Of course, I'm committed to this point so there is no point in being half-in half-out." She has been super prepared because of the example of her brother, basically a testimony that you can help someone just by the example you give.
 My biggest spiritual experience came as I spent the entire week studying faith, hope, and charity. After reading President Uchtdorf's talk called "A Summer with Great Aunt Rose" I saw that one of the things he named as a key to happiness are these three principles so I wanted to look into it more. I learned a lot and it brought a lot of reflection on my attitude now and my attitude in the past moments of my mission. I think the biggest conclusion I came to is that it all starts with a desire to do God's will. The scriptures call this being meek and lowly in heart. I learned that happiness and peace does not come because of people or circumstance but because we place our faith in God and His timing, strengthen our hope in the Atonement, and develop a love of God and man. Our hope and faith isn't based on the impossible dream that everything will go well in our life, but if we have faith and hope in God then everything will work out for our good.  When I recalled the happiest moments of my mission I realized that these three principles were involved somehow.
I think my favorite scriptures I came across about these principles were Hebrews 6:10-20 and Moroni 7:41. Hebrews took a little bit to figure out, but basically what Paul was trying to teach the Saints is that God, ensures his promises with an oath or a covenant. As if it wasn't enough to know that God cannot lie he made our hope more sure by putting his promise to an oath, or better known as a covenant. This then made what Paul calls the two immutable things, 1. God will fulfill his promises and can swear by no greater power or authority then his own and 2. He cannot lie, therefore our hope in Him and His promises is made sure. So we can, as Moroni said have a hope to be resurrected and raised to eternal life.
Anyways that was the quick version. I hope you all have a good week! I love you and miss you!
Love,
Elder Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment