"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those that bring glad tidings of good things, and that say unto Zion: Behold, thy God reigneth! As the dews of Carmel, so shall the knowledge of God descend upon them!" ---D&C 128:19

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Reflecting on General Conference

Hey everybody!  Mom, I'm glad you looked up the national holidays in Suriname, I was wondering what your reaction would be when I didn't email yesterday. I figured you'd be ok. Just wondering though haha.
First, I did get the package. But I haven't had it delivered to the apartment yet. The thing is that North Zone elders pick it up and then deliver it. Not sure when they will make time, but it's here.
Second, I am staying in Wanica North. I honestly have mixed feelings. All in all---I'm grateful--- because I will get to continue working with some prepared people, and will most likely be able to see them get baptized. So that's good. Who knows, maybe I still need to find someone. :)
Third, General Conference was amazing. I was surprised at how many of the talks focused on families and marriage. One of the reasons why I think that is because I felt the Spirit telling me that when I get home I need to make sure I spend my time wisely.
I think it's funny that the advice you guys are giving me is to make sure I'm having fun and that I'm enjoying the time I have here to serve the Lord. There were so many talks that made me feel that way. One of the talks was about maintaining perspective, especially during a trial. I realized that I was kinda having a narrow view, that I wasn't really trying to stop and enjoy the moments. I feel bad that I'm vaguely referencing to these talks, but one of them said we need to continually enjoy the simple truths of the gospel, we need to be caught in awe of the simple beauty of the gospel. It was really powerful.
Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk on Potemkin villages was awesome. Dad-- there was a talk by Larry M. Gibson that made me think of you. My favorite quote from it was "I love my dad, I loved how he taught. . . my deepest hope is that I'm living up to his example."
Well I'll have to let you guys go. Sorry this email is so short. Have an awesome week. Know that I love you guys! Have fun!
Love,
Elder Cole Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment