"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those that bring glad tidings of good things, and that say unto Zion: Behold, thy God reigneth! As the dews of Carmel, so shall the knowledge of God descend upon them!" ---D&C 128:19

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Importance of Scripture Study

We have been doing a lot of finding in the area trying to increase our teaching pool and there have been a number of unique experiences. Best experience goes to a 70 plus year old lady who, when we knocked on her house came outside and asked what kind of a message we had for her. When we explained that it was a message about Jesus Christ and prophets and apostles her eyes just got really wide and she said, "You dare to come here and try to bring a message about Jesus Christ and not God?! How dare you! My ancestors were slaves thanks to Christianity!" My companion then asked her, "so, you don't want to hear our message?" "NO! I will not hear your message, I will say have a nice day!" Me and my companion could not stop laughing afterwards, we weren't offended, it was just so funny.
Dad you asked me about my companion, he is pretty sweet. His name is Elder James, we were in the MTC together, not as companions but in the same group. When we first got together we started telling a little bit about how our mission experiences had been up to that point and we realized that we had had very similar experiences. We were also discussing what would be best to help the branch as well as the area and we came to pretty much the same conclusion, which was nice. We also have really good discussions about the gospel and what we study.  I am really excited for this transfer. It will be slow for a little bit, but we feel like it will begin to take off here pretty soon.
To finish it off, I was just want to bare simple testimony of the importance of scripture study. I am not talking about ten minutes before you go to bed scripture study. I am talking about actual scripture study lasting anywhere from a half an hour to an hour, pen and paper close by started with a prayer, in the quiet privacy of your room, at your desk and not in bed. The Spirit and Heavenly Father have so much they want to reveal to us, we need only ask and search. I have had to learn on my mission that if you want scripture study to be meaningful, you have to ask what you want to learn.
Not sure why I felt like sharing that, but it's something I've noticed lately.
Hope you all have an amazing week! Please stay safe!
Love you guys!
Elder Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment